Wednesday, December 5, 2012

How to Get Rid of Matte Nail Polish: A Tape Manicure!

So before I went to Vegas with Haylee Ann, I decided to do a tape manicure:


 My first attempts at tape manicures were frustrating; I didn't give my base color enough time to dry. This time, I decided to use a matte polish, China Glaze's Stone Cold, as my base. Matte nail polishes dry fast, and this way, I wouldn't have to worry about my base color coming off with the tape! It's a great way to get rid of matte polishes if you aren't a fan of them; you can just put top coat on top of them, like I did above. The picture above has top coat over it. Here's a picture of my nails before I added top coat:


Another thing that helps is using cheap clear tape (not Scotch tape.) My cheap tape doesn't stick well, and so it came off my nails without chipping my nail polish.

Here's a tutorial:
1. Paint your nails with your base color. (I used China Glaze Stone Cold)
2. Once your nails are dry, cut triangles of tape and stick them on your nail in a starburst pattern.
3. Paint your nail with the color you want your starburst to be. Make sure you paint far enough to cover the edges of your starburst. I used OPI Designer de Better.
4. I waited about 5 minutes before pulling off the tape. You may not have to, but it worked for me. :)
5. Repeat! :)
Since my tape triangles were stuck together, I could just peel the whole thing off my nail and reuse it for my entire hand. However, after I finished my left hand, I realized that the ends of my starburst weren't as pointy because nail polish was collecting on my tape. So I used another set of triangles for my right hand.

Hope this tutorial helps! :)
-Anna


2 comments:

  1. this is a cute idea! We attempt to do our own nails at times. You should check our blog out sometime!

    rarelydressed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it doesn't look as luxurious as a glossy manicure, but I think I like the grungy matte look! And on the nails it looks a lot better than I expected it to be, might have to pick this up xo
    Matte nail polish

    ReplyDelete